Kids ages 6 through 12 can enjoy some afternoon fun this fall at the new Vancouver Parks and Recreation After-school Program beginning Monday, October 5, 2020. The program operates Monday through Friday from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM and is available at both Firstenburg (700 N.E. 136th Avenue) and Marshall (1009 E. McLoughlin Boulevard) community centers. Registration is available on a weekly basis and is first-come, first-serve.
The After-school Program is designed to give kids safe and active opportunities to connect with peers and positive adult role models. Participants will experience hands-on learning, creative art projects, and physical exercise in a fun, supportive environment. Structured activities include games, sports, and crafts that are modified to follow physical distancing guidelines.
There is no cost to attend the After-school Program but advanced registration is required and space is limited. The City of Vancouver has prioritized offering free after-school recreation to support the health and wellness of children during the COVID-19 pandemic. Vancouver residency is not required to register.
“Young children have been particularly impacted by the changes we have made to our daily habits and routines to slow the spread of COVID-19,” said Julie Hannon, director of Vancouver Parks and Recreation. “We are excited to offer this free program that serves families and give kids a new place to learn and grow alongside their peers during the coronavirus pandemic.”
Registration is now open for weekly after-school sessions starting October 5th. Visit After School Recreation for additional information and registration details.
Vancouver Parks and Recreation is committed to providing a safe and engaging after-school environment. Both program locations adhere to COVID-19 prevention guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local public health experts, including:
- Daily health screenings and temperature checks for staff and participants.
- Small, isolated after-school groups with dedicated staff.
- Each after-school group has a dedicated room and scheduled use of shared spaces to avoid overlap with other groups.
- Staff and participants will wear face coverings and physical distancing will be enforced, including at drop-off and pick-up.
- Frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces and multi-use spaces during the day and contracted nightly sanitizing of all program areas.